Dinner Tonight

What's for dinner tonight?? Below holds some answers.....

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dinner Mar 6, 2011

Tonight's dinner is a classic--Chicken Pot Pie.  Sigh.....just saying it makes me smile, relax and think of lazy Sunday's back home.  I love pot pie; it's the dish that never gets old and, no matter how you prepare it, it's always delicious.  Whether you make your own crust or buy one or top it with biscuits---it's still a pot pie.  My pot pie recipe is one that I've adapted from years of trial and error.  I've come up with my go-to recipe that knows how to make my Sunday feel like home :)  I hope you enjoy as well.

Chicken Pot Pie

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 T Kraft Zesty Italian dressing (I like to use that brand; it's got a tangy flavor that goes well w/ the chicken)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2-1 cup milk
2 cups frozen mixed veggies
1 store-bought pie crust (I've tried making my own, but when they're so easy to buy and they taste so good, I have a hard time turning that down)
1 egg w/ a splash of milk

Preheat oven to 375deg.  Heat the dressing in a skillet on med-high heat and add chicken.  Cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer pink.  Turn head down to med-low and add veggies.  Allow to cook about 5min, until veggies are thawed.  In another bowl, mix soup and milk, making a thick, creamy gravy.  Pour gravy over chicken and veggies and stir to mix.  Spray a 9"x13" (or whatever size you grab) pan and pour chicken mixture in.  Top w/ pie crust.  Mix egg and milk in a small bowl and brush lightly over top of the crust.  Bake, uncovered, 30-45min, our until crust is brown and gravy is bubbling on the sides.  If you need the crust to get browner, turn the oven up to 425deg and cook for a few minutes, checking often.  Allow to cool for about 10min, and then serve.  The good thing about this dish--it doesn't need any sides; you've got your meat, veggies and gravy.  'nuf said.  Happy Sunday's to you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment