Dinner Tonight

What's for dinner tonight?? Below holds some answers.....

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dinner Mar 3, 2011

Hello my loyal chefs!  How is everyone today?  We are doing pretty good around here.  I'm sorry I'm late getting dinner out tonight; it was a crazy afternoon! 

Tonight's dinner is a classic: Spaghetti--but w/ a twist!  We are going to add some Italian sausage to the sauce so it has a different flavor to it.  My kids love spaghetti, and so do we!  Happy noodles :)

Sausage Spaghetti

1 lb Italian sausage (I use Johnsenville and squeeze it out of the casings)
1 med onion, chopped
2 T minced garlic
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 T Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper
1 lb angel hair pasta (or whatever you prefer)
Grated Parm cheese

Place the ground sausage--out of the casing--into a skillet, along w/ the onion and garlic.  Cook until sausage is no longer pink.  Add crushed and diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.  Add seasonings and salt and pepper.  Cook on low, stirring occasionally, about 20 min, or as long as you have. 

Cook noodles according to directions on package.  Serve sauce over noodles and top w/ grated cheese.  We served this w/ a loaf of french bread--wonderful!!! 

Tomato Tips....
I love to make my own spaghetti sauce, and it's so simple you can do it in just a few steps.  Don't get me wrong--I use pre-made sauce a lot, but sometimes it's nice to make a good, simple spaghetti sauce.  I always start w/ crushed tomatoes as the base of the sauce.  Then, I'll use whatever tomatoes I have in the pantry.  Today, I used the diced tomatoes and some sauce.  But I've used stewed before, if I have them in the pantry.  Stewed tomatoes are more dense and have a stronger tomato taste than diced, so I usually run them through my Magic Bullet before I put them in the sauce.  Just use what you've got and experiment. 

Hope your spaghetti was noodle-rific!!!  Ha--I crack myself up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment