Dinner Tonight

What's for dinner tonight?? Below holds some answers.....

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dinner Mar 24, 2011 - Pad Thai Shrimp

Hello Hello Hello!!!  I am sooo ready for Friday!!  We got some cold weather--boooo--but I think it's just the VERY last of it....spring is almost here :) 

Tonight, we will all be dining on a recipe I have never tried before, as well as a cuisine I have never cooked before--Thai food.  I'm excited!!!  I've made Indian and Mediterranean before, but never Thai.  Let's hope all pallets are pleased :)

Ladies and Gentleman....I bring you: Pad Thai Shrimp

Pad Thai Shrimp

4 cups water
1 pkg linguine-style rice noodles (I found what I think is this, but really not sure....)
1/3 c lime juice
1/3 c water
3 T br sugar
1/4 c soy sauce or fish sauce (fish sauce--that's just gross)
1 T rice vinegar
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 T veg oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 med shallot (I never use these--I just use an onion!)
2 eggs, beaten
12 oz frozen cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed
1/4 cup bean sprouts (yeah--I didn't even buy this!!)
4 med gr onions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves

Here we go....
I saucepan, heat 4c water to boiling.  Remove from heat; add noodles.  Soak noodles 3-5 minutes, or until soft.  Drain and rinse w/ cold water.  (Here, we'll see if these are the kind I got.  I may be trying a new method!!)
In small bowl, stir lime juice, water, br sugar, soy/fish sauce, vinegar, cayenne and 1T oil until mixed.  In skillet, heat 2T oil over med heat.  Cook garlic and shallot about 30sec, stirring constantly.  Add eggs.  Cook 2 min, stirring until scrambled. 
Stir in noodles and lime juice mixture.  Increase heat to high and cook about 1 min, tossing constantly.  Sauce should begin to thicken.  Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro.  Cook 2-3min, tossing.  Garnish w/ cilantro.

I hope you enjoy this--I'm really looking forward to it!  I'll let you know how it goes :)

2 comments:

  1. pad thai is my go to when I don't know what to fix. it's easy and a fav. i use thai kitchen for the noodles. i never buy the sprouts either :) hope it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a success!! Very good, but I think I just bought Asian spaghetti :) Oh well--next time. Now that I know what I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete