Dinner Tonight

What's for dinner tonight?? Below holds some answers.....

Friday, February 25, 2011

Dinner Feb 25. 2011

Hello my fabulous chefs!  I am sure we are all happy to see Friday.  We got some snow--yuck!  I was holding my breath on Phil and hoping for an early spring.  Oh well, soon enough :) 

I have a wonderful dinner for you to warm up on this chilly, snowy, lazy, perfect-night-for-a-movie Friday night--veggie soup and delish biscuits!  Now I must tell you all that this is my recipe and I've never done the same thing twice.  It's one of those ;)  I dig through my crisper and pull out whatever veggies I have in there.  This is often a dish I'll make right before I make my bi-weekly trip to the grocery store to clean out my fridge.  Here's my version, and I invite you to experiment with yours :)  Happy Friday night to all!!

Veggie Soup *note: this recipe makes a small pot of soup; enough for dinner for four, then maybe another two lunches worth.

1 lb ground beef (Optional; I don't always include the beef, but it makes it a little heartier)
2-4 T Olive Oil
2 T minced garlic (I've gotten to where I buy the jar of pre-minced garlic from the produce section.  It's so much easier than chopping garlic and the jar will stay in your fridge for--well, forever!!  For this I use a couple of spoonfuls)
3-4 small potatoes, diced w/ peels left on
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup baby carrots (optional to chop)
1 T dried Parsley (I hardly ever use fresh herbs.  They don't keep long and I usually end up throwing them out b/c they are going bad)
1 T Oregano
1/2 T Thyme
1 cup frozen corn
2 cans tomato sauce
1 cup chicken broth *see note below
Salt and Pepper
2 cups noodles (whatever kind you prefer)

Cook noodles according to directions on package. 

Brown beef, drain and set aside. 

While beef is browning, in another pot heat oil on med heat.  Add garlic, potatoes, onions, celery and carrots.  Saute for about 5 min, then add herbs.  While the veggies are sauteing, stir occasionally; this will infuse the flavor of the herbs into the veggies.  Saute for about 6-8 minutes more, or until the veggies are soft. 

Add the corn, tomato sauce and broth (*Only add enough of the broth to make it the consistency you desire).  Salt and pepper to taste.  Allow to simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or all day! 

To serve, place noodles in a bowl and ladle soup over them.  Serve w/ biscuits below. 

Biscuits

2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 - 1 cup milk

Heat oven to 375deg.  Mix Bisquick and sour cream.  Add enough milk to form a sticky, thick dough.  Drop dough by the spoonful onto baking sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.  Enjoy with the soup!

I hope everyone enjoys this recipe and I wish you a wonderful weekend ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment