Dinner Tonight

What's for dinner tonight?? Below holds some answers.....

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dinner May 4, 2011 - Crawfish Etouffee

Hello everyone!!!  First I would like to say hello to my new follower.....you know who you are ;-)  I am always excited when someone joins our dinner-crew! 

So, on to dinner tonight.  Crawfish Etouffee is a dish I have heard of a time or two......and I've seen people order it several times at a local seafood restaraunt we go to.  We went there for my mom's Bday a few weeks ago and my aunt got it--amazing!!!!!  So yummy--so I had to try it!  Etouffee is a dish that's similar to gumbo, but not quite as thick.  It's very spicy (be warned!!!!) and has a richness that leaves an impression on your tongue.  So tonight I bring you---Crawfish Etouffee.....

Crawfish Etouffee

2 lb Crawfish Tails (I only used 1lb b/c I wanted to try it first.  Also, they didn't have this at my local grocery store.  I had to stop at a seafood store to get it.  It ran about $13/lb; a little pricey, but sooooooo worth it!!)
1/4 lb butter
1 c onion, chopped
1/2 c bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c celery, chopped
2 T crawfish fat (I couldn't find this.  So the recipe says to just use more butter--can't go wrong there!!!)
2 c cold water
1 T cornstarch
1/4 c gr onion, chopped
1/4 c parsley
Creole seasoning blend, to taste *NOTE: this stuff is pretty salty.  I added salt in other parts and I wish I hadn't; it was too much.  So doing it again, I'd only use this seasoning as my salt)
Pinch dried thyme
Pinch dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 cups hot, cooked rice

Season crawfish tails in bowl w/ cayenne and black pepper.  Heat butter in skillet w/ onion, pepper and celery.  Saute for about 5 min.  Add crawfish fat (or butter).  Add 1 1/2 c water, creole seasoning, thyme, oregano, bay leaf and crawfish tails.  Simmer on low for about 30 min.  Whisk cornstarch and and 1/2 cup cold water and add to skillet.  Add gr onion and parsley.  That's it!!!  Serve over hot cooked rice and enjoy!!

Note--I didn't serve this to the kiddos.  It was a little spicy!  I made extra rice and they gobbled it up w/ soy sauce.  I loved this one and I hope you will too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment